There are two pertinent questions in elections. Voters should ask candidates, “Why should I vote for you?” Candidates should ask voters, “How can I be of help?” The issues I am addressing are my initial thoughts on how I can be of help to you.
Taxes & Spending
• Reduce the Homestead Tax Credit cap from 3% to 1.5% to protect homeowners from higher property tax assessments.
• Protect the eligibility of seniors and veterans for the St. Mary’s County 65-10 Senior Tax Credit by increasing the maximum home property valuation to $500,000.
• Adopt the Constant Yield Tax Rate, to negate additional revenue from property tax assessment increases, when the county government has a large undedicated fund balance.
• Adopt an annual county budget process that differentiates between “essential” versus “non-essential” expenditures to control the rate of increase in spending.
Public Health, Safety & General Welfare
• Public health. The county commissioners serve as the Board of Health. I support a comprehensive review of the county’s responses to COVID-19 to better prepared for future health emergencies.
• Public safety. Prioritize funding that concentrates proactive law enforcement on organized crime, e.g., gangs, and focuses crime prevention on offenders’ pre-release and community-based corrections programs. Enhance physical security through Building Code security standards, e.g., Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED).
• Public education. Respond as required by the state to the implementation of the Blueprint for Maryland's Future by the SMCPS.
• General welfare. Ensure that essential public services are responsive to public needs and facilities are properly maintained.
Land Use & Economic Development
• The most effective means for the county government to protect the environment, including quality of life, is through effective land use management but with an emphasis on controlling sprawl.
• Amend the Adequate Public Facilities Ordinance to include the adequacy of health care, police, and solid waste disposal services.
• Incentivize redevelopment in the Lexington Park area to attract economic development, and growth.
• Before the further expansion of MetCom’s water and sewer infrastructure, focus on the renovation of the outdated system, and with minimal costs to users.
• Construct and open the YMCA at the site near Great Mills High School.
Quality of Life
I believe St. Mary’s County has a great quality of life with excellent employment opportunities for all its residents, but I also believe it can be better. One of my slogans is “MAKING SOMETHING GOOD EVEN BETTER” I further believe my passion and skillsets will be put to use making it happen. Working together we can make our County an even better place to live.